View Single Post
Old 05-28-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arimajol View Post
You need to buy a package, that comes with a queen. When I had bees, the options were 3or 5 pounds packages. It's a wire box just full of bees, the queen in a separate cage. There is another kind of package called a nuc, that is more of a starter hive. I never got them, always got the packages, but I think they come with a couple frames already drawn out into comb, with some food stored in.

They aren't dangerous, as long as you site their hive properly and they have enough room. If they were in a place that was close to walking paths, that'd be a problem and they could get defensive if you walked within several feet of them on a regular basis. Besides that, if you leave them alone, they'll leave you alone. Even when doing a hive check, pulling frames, or feeding, if done carefully and properly, the bees kept for honey aren't very aggressive.
Very cool! Thank you for sharing. Our backyard isn't big enough for something of that nature but maybe at Grandma and Grandpas!! Thanks again for info . Very neat.