View Single Post
Old 07-11-2017, 11:41 AM
Resident Slacker

* real name, if you like - Jason

* where do you live? - Oakland, CA

* explanation of your handle - Back in 1994, AOL would only allow 10 characters for your username, so I had to truncate RudeAwakening to RudAwkning.

* explanation of your avatar - I love Huey Lewis and The News. Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor. In '87, Huey released this, Fore, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip to be Square", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

* age - 42

* occupation - computers

* favorite bike - Right now, my favorite bike is my Salsa Woodsmoke. But my least favorite is the one I just finished my last 1200k on. It's going in the "time-out" corner.

* what's in your stable? - A couple Kirks, a couple Ellises, a handful of Waterfords. About 20 bikes total. Have a new Steve Rex incoming any day now.

* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? - Don't know, but my fastest speed on my fixed gear was descending into Davenport at 3:00 in the morning on our Fleche last year. I hit over 39 mph on a 51x20 with 25mm tires and 167.5 cranks. That put me at just under 200 RPMs.

* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? - Don't know. But I logged 11,000 RUSA kilometers in 2016.

* make up and answer at least one additional question:
Why haven't you ever ridden outside of the U.S.? - Because my passport has been expired since 2008. I should probably get on that before another decade passes.

* what is the biggest lie you've ever told? - The biggest one was probably the one that hurt somebody the most. To whomever that was...I'm sorry (no...I'm not. I'm lying again).

* and, something fun. - I like turtles.

* picture of yourself or your ride? - I've made the cover of American Randonneur....twice!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg donk.jpg (87.9 KB, 791 views)
File Type: jpg donk2.jpg (87.0 KB, 789 views)