View Single Post
Old 04-01-2018, 02:29 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Heine View Post

What we care about is how well our tires roll on real roads, not how well they score in a test that doesn’t replicate the real world.

Jan Heine

Founder

Compass Cycles
www.compasscycle.com
The drum test is only one method of test certainly, but all the results are not so in conflict with 'the real world' as you state. I think we need to understand the limits of each test and interpret the results accordingly. Infact, those tires score quite well in rolling resistance even on the drum test.

However, the 'real' world includes other factors commented on by bicyclerollingresistance.com and many others. Can you comment on the findings of:

- punture resistance (which is the harshest criticism in the review I read)
- durability (if i'm doing a 2000km, or 3000km, or 4000km loaded tour how many tires am I going to have to bring?)
- tubeless performance (is the bead holding well on those tires?)

I feel like we're stressing about 1 or 2 watts here or there because of the conditions of the test, and not focusing on all the qualities that make a tire experience. Like punctures and changing a tire on a loaded bickpacking bike on the side of the road. Focusing on those 1 or 2 watts (from a drum test) seems like the least 'real world' thing we could do.