View Single Post
Old 03-31-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Yes, it may very well be the tread compound. The predecessor to the GP4000s was the GP4000, which was dimensionally the same, but used a silica based tread compound. The GP4000 was a bit of a dog when it came to rolling resistance. When Continental replaced the tread compound with a new compound based on nano-sized carbon particles (which they called Black Chili), it had a dramatic reduction in rolling resistance, even lower than other tires with thinner treads made of traditional rubber.

The current lowest rolling resistance tires now all use nano particle carbon compounds, and include tires from Continental (Black Chili compound), Vittoria (Graphene+ compound) and Specialized (Gripton compound -developed by the same engineers that developed Continental's Black Chili).
Interesting. I think I'm going to return these Babyshoe Passes that just arrived and get the G-One Speed Microskin instead. Compass volume + Pro One rubber seems like a good combination.

And now I'm thinking about the Panaracer Gravelking again. It has the "ZSG Natural Compound". Panaracer says "This compound has the same low rolling resistance as the premium compound". Wonder how it compares to the bigger brands.