View Single Post
Old 11-27-2021, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Moon View Post
The cleats I have are pre Wahoo walkable. They look to be designed exclusively for Speedplay compatible shoes, because they sit like a mushroom on top of the 3 hole adapter plate. I'm pretty sure the yellow cover will pull right off the first time I walk on anything other than a linoleum floor. I have a set of Speedplay adaptable Northwave shoes, but the 4 hole adapter doesn't work with the walkables so I have to use the 3 hole.
I've been riding Speedplay since the early 90s and, other than the wear on the first generation aluminum pucks, I never had a problem with them. IMHO, the new cleats are a real step down in quality.
This sounds like a mounting interface issue or the ones you have are defective. They should be flat before and after mounting. FWIW, I've installed dozens of walkable cleats on my own and customer shoes, almost all of them 3-hole with the adapter plate and as long as the right shims are used so that the adapter plate stays flat after it's attached, I've never seen an issue with function.

The flat bottom ones do feel more substantial. I will say that getting the rubber cover on can take some force but once it is on, it shouldn't go anywhere.