View Single Post
Old 06-18-2018, 04:21 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobrien View Post
Hi, great post! You should see my electrical outlets, all lined up to TDC!

I started to wave at semi-trailer trucks and larger when they passed me when I cycled on the shoulder of Highway 63 in northern Alberta.

They would come darn close to mowing me down many times (who knows). I thought I would mock them a bit with a wave and then realized the waves were working in that more and more large rigs were cutting into the left lane to not buzz me on the shoulder. The highway is divided with two lanes each way.

I figured some of them appreciated being acknowledged with a courtesy wave and over the course of the first two years I noticed a real improvement in how trucks and some personal vehicles would swing into the left lane while passing.

I still wave at any car or vehicle that makes an effort to give me some clearance as they go by. Most are very nice in Vancouver, at least where I bike on the west side of the city.

I also stop for all of our creatures that wander onto the roads, whether deer or squirrels (crazy animals) or geese (it is Vancouver!).

I stopped waving to cyclists in the city as many are very elitist (or whatever). I give the briefest of nods (like a monk).
I've noticed that more hand signals = safer passing around me.

Yeah, there's still that 1% who are psychotic, but the rest? Mo bettah when they can tell you know they're there and aren't RHUA

M