View Single Post
Old 06-18-2018, 11:08 AM

All my bikes are regular road bikes and I have not much desire to ride on dirt or gravel. Recently I decided to explore some new roads in the Ithaca, NY area and chose to take a road that took me where I wanted to go (Michigan Hollow Rd., if anyone is from that area). After fighting a nasty headwind for most of the first 40 miles, I was finally enjoying a tail wind when the pavement disappeared. OK, nicely packed dirt, I can deal with this on my 25mm tires. After a couple miles, the road has been all graded up, but there is a narrow margin on the left that is barely rideable. Finally, I come to the guy working the road grader and he assures me there is only another mile or so where they are working.

That turned out to be true, but after that point the road continued on, generously covered with golf ball sized gravel, for another three miles. Very slow going, and through a forest with no houses. Luckily, only one car passed me the entire time, as it created a huge dust cloud. Honestly, not my idea of fun.