Thread: OT: VW atlas
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape View Post
Has anyone here ever purchased a used car online, but sight-unseen?

I am considering buying a used car, then flying to pick it up, take a little vacation with the car, then drive it home.

I supposed I could back out when I see the car, but at that point I am pretty committed.

I admit to being a little hesitant to do this!
I bought my Tundra off eBay--in an auction (before most listings turned into Classifieds) and had it shipped to me.

Like ShovelHD, my experience was a little mixed as well--the truck was low mileage (as stated) but it definitely had been hit in the front end (not disclosed--but fairly minor) and had some damage along the top of the box rails (still don't know how that happened?).

None of these things were deal breakers--it was a truck (and has been used like one) and had been incredibly reliable, and I may have bought it off a lot with similar issues, but the non-disclosure rankled.

If I were to do it again, I would not buy from a small seller as I did (he lasted for about another 5 minutes on the 'Bay until he was bad-repped out of business), and I would only buy from a seller with top ratings with a buyback guarantee.

All that said, newer cars are more like appliances (unlike a vintage car like a 2002), and brand, mileage, and some additional research should let you know if the average car like the one you are considering is a decent buy, and on average you will do OK.

Last edited by paredown; 11-18-2017 at 06:56 AM.