View Single Post
Old 07-27-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbit View Post
SpaceX basically destroyed a small town by the coast in Texas.

That said, they are also quite aware of their impact and try to mitigate it. However, their mitigation doesn't always align with what actually helps those impacted.

Definitely a mixed bag. But manufacturing is usually better jobs and less negatives than a spaceship launch site.
A little OT here (hopefully not too much); there is a Space-X rocket testing facility 25-30 miles down the road from where I live in central TX, and probably half that distance from where I work. They like to test engines between 6:00 - 9:00 p.m. most of the time. Occasionally they'll do one during the day, but that's the exception. Most of their tests can easily be heard - and felt - in my home. Their facility is 3-4 miles away from a small town where several coworkers live. Obviously the effect is much more noticeable for them! This small town has a p.m. noise ordinance, and Space-X has paid so much in fines to the town, due to the evening tests, it has basically financed a complete renovation of one of the city's parks and little league baseball/softball fields. They actually re-named the park "Rocket Park"! I think some of those fines may be going to other improvements in town as well.

So def a mixed bag for these folk. Some don't mind them if they're contributing financially to the area, others just want them out, period. Hasn't hurt real estate, as there continues to be new housing between my work and the town close to the Space-X facility. No point to make here, just an anecdotal tale to piggyback on this previous reply.