View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot870 View Post
Hey Skep - I live in Manhattan and ride 6 days usually all year - I really only burn about 1 cassette a year......Even a 1090 lasted for 12 months once.........But I've also had the same IF SEC for 10 so I guess things just last with me.........PB is a cheap penetrating oil....it works! Almost forgot your question - I go 1 for 1 so when the chain goes so does the cassette. Cheap because I use a 105 CS-R7000!
Your technique would work, riding on relatively flat terrain and using cheap throwaway parts. Using a chain that long should trash a cassette. Many would say that shifting precision should suffer at some point. Using a chain that long is also detrimental to the chainrings. If you also have to replace chainrings more often, then you could spend less by changing chains more often.

If you have a $350 cassettes, and $50 chains, better care would be wise. With campy 12 speed I notice that you don't get much for the high price of a super record cassette. It's all steel and only weighs 44 grams less than a chorus model that's about half the price. Even the chorus 12 cassette costs more than 3 chains. If you alternate the use of several chains, the cassette should last for the life of those chains.

Last edited by Dave; 12-09-2019 at 09:05 AM.