View Single Post
Old 12-08-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I'm a cat guy too and have had some VERY affectionate, engaged, great cats.
BUT, are the 8 and 10yo gonna 'play' with the dog? Be outside, be engaged?
Back yard? Where dog poops? Kids or you gonna clean it up? Kids play back there? Sometimes in bare feet?

Something to consider. If they want a 'play buddy', I'd say a dog(no idea about breed-see 'cat guy' above)..If not, I'd say get 2 cats..

Gotta say tho, I'm taking a break after losing my last cat, before losing his brother 2 years earlier..VERY hard, still hurts. Pets just don't last that long..

PLUS-if cats, PLEASE keep them inside..or if outside, with some human..Seen too many cats get hurt or killed around here(neighbor just lost one of his REALLY beautiful yellow cats(a brother also) to a raccoon, found him badly injured..not fair..)...
Yeah--I'm on a break too; I had one female tortoiseshell for ~15 years and a big calico tom for 20! They add so much much and it's hard to lose them.

I'll echo the "please keep them inside" sentiment. For all the reasons you mention definitely, but also because of just how good cats are at hunting. Pet cats' and feral cats' impacts on birds and other animals can be significant (and I think that's an understatement). Please, if you choose a cat as a pet, read up on the justified reasons to keep them indoors.