View Single Post
Old 04-27-2024, 05:23 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Does Rapha stuff last forever and ever like Assos? I still haven’t tried Rapha but the funny thing with some of these clothes that are exceptionally well made is they get less repeat business than stuff that’s just a little less expensive but lasts 1/4 as long. With bibs I’ve had an awful lot of them that cost 80% of what Assos cost but last 1/4-1/2 as long. Is Rapha like that?
I have a lot of Rapha kit, all Pro Team, Brevet, or Classic (I wouldn't touch the Core products). IME the jerseys last very well (especially, as noted in the thread, the merino blend ones). My only complaint is that one jersey lost its stretch in the back so the pockets sag (I use it anyway).

The bibs of the previous decade lasted forever but the more recent ones tend to fail after 3-4 years of once a week use (roughly). In general the failures fall into two categories: the stitching of the pad unravels a little or the pad begins to detach internally. The first category is by far more common and, fortunately, is easily remedied by someone with even mediocre tailoring skills.

That said, in every instance of their bibs failing, I have sent Rapha a repair request and they say "we can't repair that, here's a voucher for 40% of the original cost." In contrast, the one pair of MAAP bibs I had got quite thin and lost their compression after several years and MAAP said (in effect) "too bad, they're old."

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I don’t know where I could even try on their jerseys these days
They've recently struck a wholesale deal with Trek (among other LBSs), so if you have a Trek store in the vicinity you might check with them. I know a bunch of stores here have begun to offer their stuff (which is a huge PITA for the Rapha store since people come to them for returns and they have to say "sorry."