View Single Post
Old 08-01-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maddox View Post
Ugh.

I'm glad you enjoy it, but the thought of those places makes me retch.

With all sincerity, please help me understand its appeal. I know LOTS of people who feel just as you do, but I simply don't get it.
Sure thing! I'll try to paint a picture for ya, but I think a big prerequisite of falling in love with disneyland as an adult is that you had been there as a child. For me, I get hit with nostalgia as soon as I walk in. The magic I was drawn into as a child comes back to me all over again. I can understand why some adults who go for the first time may not enjoy it as much.

First off its the environment. The smells of caramel corn, ice creek and elephant ears. The music up main street or while walking through place to place. It's literally a step into a world of imagination. The attractions sometimes defy reality and pull you into this imaginary surrounding.

I'm not HUGE on roller coaster or heights so that takes out a lot of attractions that I don't even do. People often ask me why I love a disneyland so much if I don't even do half the rides. To me that speaks even more highly about how it's more about the environment and simply pulling back the disbelief in whatever and allowing myself to enjoy the fun.

I sure the lines can get long and when it's hot out, it can really suck at the moment, BUT I've been there when it wasn't busy and honestly, I felt like it took away from the experience. I enjoy the crowd and watching families have such a good time.

I remember one time sitting in line and watching the mad hatter walk down main street. He was being rushed to another part of the park where he was supposed to have an appearance. He stopped near this child that was 7 or 8 years old and interacted with him and his family for maybe 2 minutes. To see the excitement on that kids face was priceless and I guarantee you, that kid has grown up remembering that moment. Back when you're a kid, you aren't influenced by anything, you simply believe in the stories and movies you watch. Being at Disneyland where those very same movies come to life is special.

I've always had a great imagination and I've always been a huge kid at heart. Maybe that has something something to do with the fact of why I love it there so much. I'm able to be a kid and do away with the everyday stress that comes along with being an adult.