View Single Post
Old 06-25-2005, 07:55 PM

My beater/commuter (Lightweight review)

Thought some of you might find some of this of interest. This is my ride, and yes I do commute often on it, although not on the Lightweight wheels. This bike truly does capture the complete and ultimate experience of road riding for me. Smooth, stiff, comfortable, light and fast. Didn't someone once say you can't have all these attributes simultaneously?

Note on the wheels. Wheels and tires make as much, if not more difference to the ride than the frame.These wheels accelerate much more quickly than others I have ridden: Ksyriums (commuter/training wheels), Zipp 303, Lews, etc. It's a function of lightness combined with stiffness. They are noticably stiffer than comparably light wheels. With the Zipps and Lews I can get some brake rub under out-of-the-saddle efforts, but never with the Lightweights. Despite their stiffness, they don't seem harsh. I figure this is a function of the tires (see below) and the carbon fiber everywhere on these wheels. I bought these wheels for a mere $1000 in 2001 before everyone knew what they were. Though they are among the best of wheels created, I wouldn't pay the $3800, but that's just me. Though my bike would seem to state otherwise, I am a deal scrubbing, cheap-skate! I have put probably 5-6K miles on these wheels and they are still as true as the day I got them which is a testament to their longevity. I have had one issue with a rim (small crack) which was my own fault. Carbonsports repaired it nicely and was a pleasure to deal with.

Note on tires. Two words. Veloflex tubulars. I have yet to find anything as nice. They roll oh so smooth, corner excellent, and last a long time.

Note on the frame. Can't say much that already hasn't been said. I had mine built up with the stiffest tubeset. I figured it would still be significantly more comfortable than the aluminum race machines I was accustomed to. It is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Serotta 1.jpg (85.6 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg Serotta 2.jpg (98.1 KB, 162 views)