View Single Post
Old 02-22-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Put latex tubes in there and report. 'Feel' is subjective, BUT there are other advantages to tubies besides 'feel'. They also corner very well since the sidewalls are supple, which, like a radial car tire, more tread stays on the road. PLUS 'some' wee weight savings PLUS..if glued on properly(no, not black or or weird science)..if ya flat, the tire won't come off rim, which is a real possibility with clinchers.

Throw in the lower pressure craze and no pinch flats..yes, tubies have real advantages.
Few thoughts from open-minded person (me):
*I seem to only get a flat tire on clinchers once every two or three years, basically when the butyl gets old it seems. I pay a lot of attention to junk in the road.
*Are Veloflex Master open clinchers not supple? They are something like 320 TPI if I remember correctly.
*About weight, it seems that the spin-up would be faster on tubular wheels, but that clincher wheels would have more momentum. I'm on 20 pound plus bikes and weight is more of a nuance curiosity than a real concern in my world.
*The part about a tire staying on the rim is of most interest to me. I'd like to think about how to quantify this risk. I'm not descending like Nibali, but safety is a priority.
*Low pressure craze? I guess I have some catching up to do on the literature. I've been running 25s at 95 to 105 psi for years, thinking it was more or less optimal.

Help me see the light.