View Single Post
Old 04-14-2008, 02:50 PM

serotta's minimal web info

Sandy's recent thread made me realize something.

How does Serotta expect to sell a 8k$ frameset with two paragraphs on the Meivici page? Hmm, lets go see the nerds at Cervelo, the Soloist Carbon... ~50 paragraphs? I honestly don't think bike geeks are illiterate, and would prefer to talk to a dealer; in my case a long distance call. Even if a phone call works, how many dealers are open at 10pm when I'm bored and browsing at home? How many dealers might have a dumb kid on the floor giving wrong information? Why rely that heavily on them?

I understand that the ride can be "tuned" but you can still talk about what makes Serotta carbon tubing so special, how the rides can be tuned, why the paint is so expensive etc. I'm sure there are people who will see a picture in RobbReport and say "I want it" and not think twice, but I'm sure there's a large untapped market that could be persuaded. (ie. marketing?)

I've been struggling to get a friend to even consider the CXII in the Serotta garage. He's got back issues and I know he'd be happier on the taller HT and steel ride but trying to convince him on a one paragraph web description is futile.

Put links to reviews (like pez, cyclingnews etc.) on the model's pages. There *is* some info on the site, but its so buried (nowhere near as buried as slowman's articles on slowtwitch.)