View Single Post
Old 04-02-2018, 03:24 PM

My 2003 Litespeed Vortex

I think I've posted about it before, but here's my 2003 Litespeed Vortex in some more detail. Every tube is extremely heavily shaped 6/4 Ti - the top and down tubes have diamond profiles, and the seat tube is octagonal at the BB and gradually fades into a normal tube by the seatpost clamp (not sure how they did that, because there's no visible seam in any of the tubes). Seat stays are gently curved for some extra give, and have an aero teardrop profile, while the chainstays are quite beefy. Welds are immaculate stacks of dimes.

My frame (size 51.5) weighed in at 1269 grams, including the stock Litespeed Ti seatpost clamp (which is heavy, but beautiful and worth it IMO). Running Force 22 with a Power2Max NG Eco Powermeter. Cockpit is alloy and Ritchey at the moment, but I just scored some Oval 910 carbon bars from forum member rePhil that I can't wait to try out. Saddle is the cheapest Antares, seatpost is a carbon Fizik R1 (which I really need to swap for a 0 offset post, so if you wanna trade, let me know) Wheels are currently some basic, but solid, Fulcrum 4's for training, but the "forever" wheelset will (fingers crossed) be commissioned very shortly. I found the original decals garish (is IS a 2003 model after all), so I stripped it bare and then added the (very understated) 2018 Litespeed T1SL decals to the DT.

Overall, I gotta say I love this bike. I wouldn't change a thing, aside from the headtube - it's integrated, and I really, really wish it was external, for looks and so I could have some fork options. But honestly, when you consider the massive benefits of Ti (durability, comfort, durability, and durability), I can't imagine ever not having a Ti bike be my main squeeze again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2E0C2869-D4B3-4622-86CA-5C208D380339 - Copy.jpg (151.5 KB, 422 views)