View Single Post
Old 07-06-2020, 05:28 PM

Also very interested in this. No idea what's going to happen, other than rumours which have all been stated, but I hope it happens soon.

As to the 1x question, I've never ridden a 1x setup but as an experiment I've gone out for rides where I've kept the front in the small chainring (36t) and deliberately skipped gears on the cassette to emulate (as far as possible) the available steps of a wider 1x setup.

Took some getting used to, but eventually I settled into the cadence variations just fine. For solo riding and touring I think it's fine. Probably still lacks the nuance and fine-grained adjustment as a 2x setup for fast group rides though.

1x13 is getting very, very close to a full spread of 2x gears while maintaining close (read: 2x) jumps for a lot of the high gears and without going too silly on the jumps between lower gears. You really just lack the extreme high or extreme low.... or, with astute chainring choice, you can bias your setup high or low.... not bad at all.

I've enjoyed playing with the following gear ratio site. Just slide the chainrings and cogs around and compare the steps above - very well done!

http://ritzelrechner.de/

(Be sure to hit the "compare" button down the bottom right of screen before you start so you can overlay to combo's. Then just click into either of the gear windows before making adjustments)

Bringing this back to Campy, well, the Chorus crank looks to be designed for smaller rings and perhaps a 1x. I do hope they introduce an alloy UT crankset... that isn't *too* heavy.

Last edited by robertbb; 07-06-2020 at 05:34 PM.