View Single Post
Old 01-29-2019, 05:05 PM

yes and...

unlike youtube tv, it appears directnow lets you fast forward through commercials on all recordings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradford View Post
I switched to Directv Now from Directv a year ago and am happy with the decision. Overall, considering the cost difference, it is all we need. We use Apple TV 4 for the interface, which they gave me for free when I signed up. It is good, better than good enough, but not great like satellite was.

The pros are: Price, a better channel line up for what I watch, and easy access to missed programing. For example, last week I got to the tv 30 minutes after a program started and I was able to start it from the beginning and watch it even thought I was halfway through the time slot and hadn't selected to record. I also love that I can watch tv on my computers and ipads, so it is easy to watch a game in the garage while working on my bikes or the news in the kitchen while cleaning dishes. When the kids are loud downstairs, I can just pop up to the office and watch on my computer, or when I'm in a hotel room I can watch my news back home. In addition, the virtual DVR works well enough.

The cons are: slow to start up and change channels, picture quality is less than satellite and can fade in and out (between great and good enough). When we started last year, our internet speed topped out at 10 Mbps and it was fine most of the time, annoying too much of the time, and useless when my wife was uploading photos. Now my speed is 20 Mbps max and things are fine 95 or 98% of the time. Not always perfect, but mostly fine. That being said, it is still less reliable than cable or satellite.

We committed to a 6 month trial but haven't considered going back. We are also at a point in our lives where we are not heavy tv users.