View Single Post
Old 01-08-2024, 04:24 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
You keep repeating this, but it's a fairly meaningless figure because it represents the average density for the entire county. The population density along the SBT GRVL route is certainly a lot higher than this.
I do a yearly gravel race about an hour from me. It starts and ends in Newton IA which has 15,000 people. It passes near a couple towns, but only rolls thru one other town and that has 2,000 people.
The race is 55mi within the Jasper Co with a density of 52 people per mile. Newton has 1,390 people per square mile. You spend the first 10 minutes and the last 8 minutes in Newton. Besides that, its straight rural farming country.
Remove Newton and the rest of the county is 30 people per square mile...which even that seems high.
I spend maybe 5mi in the populated part of that county and 50mi in the rural farm part.

Same applies here.
How much of the 140mi route below is densely populated? I am surprised we are even using the term 'densely populated' at all here. I have only been out there once- thru the town into WY, but from what I saw- it quickly goes to rural outside of the immediate town. That was 2018, so maybe its exploded in growth while the population stayed down in the last census?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2024-01-08 161454.jpg (52.3 KB, 155 views)