View Single Post
Old 12-11-2019, 08:21 AM

[QUOTE=Ken Robb;2631084]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post
How many miles before it died? Was there required normal servicing on that tranny? I know BMW decided years ago that their regular automatics had "lifetime" fills of transmission fluid from the factory. Of course there were enough premature failures that led to many jokes about how long a "lifetime" they referred to.
We owned a vehicle with "lifetime" transmission fluid. It was a Volvo XC90 AWD. The foreign car guy who serviced it for us told me you could change the fluid if you really wanted to (not literally a sealed transmission), but he had never done it. Told me if it doesn't give you trouble don't worry about it. We put close to 180K on it before trading it for my truck - never any issue with the tranny or shifting. Probably not the same tranny, and could also be a function of how the car is driven.
I have heard of people running them for a long time, say 80K+ miles, and then telling the mechanic to change the fluid, even though they were advised against it. The electronics have compensated for the changes in the fluid over time, and introducing all new fluid forces the computer to "re-learn" how to shift. Some folk had issues with transmissions after a fluid change. At least that's what I'm told.