View Single Post
Old 03-29-2020, 10:15 AM

Dreaming of "Nicer" Wheels

I joined the 2020 Paceline weightloss challenge and I have lost 33 lbs so far through intermittent fasting as well as calories monitoring (side note, this approach proves very useful for the current situation to reduce grocery shopping )

I am also keeping up with training by doing 4-5 1 hr session of zwift each week. This is nothing for many here but for me it is more consistent compared to my past winters' effort.

For an added incentive, I promise myself to get a "nicer" set of wheels if I hit mid 160s. Although I am still far from it at 180 lbs, the target seem achievable so I am allowing myself to dream.

The thing is I don't know what nicer wheels for me means. Right now I am riding DTRR440 laced with record hubs built by old spud, 32x32. I got them used here and they have served me well, even surviving a big accident with a car when my Merlin Extralight snapped in half.

Staring at the big 5-0 in couple years, I don't think I will need something that is very deep for aero as I have never been fast, and probably will never be fast enough to benefit from it. I think I want something that will help me climb better and get going quicker (lighter?)

Stats:

Male, will be 49 this year.
Height: 5'8" - 5'9"
Target weight: 160-170
Budget: $600-$800 new or used. Call it under $1K in general.
Wheels: Clincher - Rim Brake. Chainstays allow 25 max tire width. Not sure if that will be a factor.

I have been following the various wheel discussion and it seems like Durace C24/40 or Campy Bora One 35 are well received here. Bora Ones are really expensive new but I have seen them listed here that is near my price range.

Of course, there is always custom built from old spud and other vendors here. But one reason for the incentive is to add some bling to the bike for my own vanity

Hopefully you can recommend some direction for me to chew on for the next few months.

Lastly, I can also stick with my current wheels.

Edit:

Picture of my bike if wheel choice will help improve the "aesthetics." It has the Ksyrium SL that came with the bike.

Last edited by tuxbailey; 03-29-2020 at 10:35 AM.