View Single Post
Old 04-16-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs7282 View Post
I have been lurking in this thread as a would-be first time espresso machine buyer. Figured I'd chime in now that it's recently bubbled back up to the top.

Interested in hearing feedback from those on hear who may have owned/used both a semi-auto and manual/lever type machine.

I am "on the fence" between the two types. I like the idea of the simplicity and complete control a lever machine offers. On the other hand, I'd hate to spend a bunch of money and wind up frustrated because I lack the skill necessary to operate the manual machine. Of course, that is probably a matter of putting in the time and practice.

Having only ever used a standard drip machine and (99.9% of the time) an Aeropress, this is new territory to me, so appreciate any insights and experience you might share.
I have a Gaggia Classic (a no-frills but good quality semi-auto) and the La Pavoni Professional (lever). If I had not gotten the Gaggia first and learned my lessons with that machine, the La Pavoni lever machine would be a non-stop kick in the dick. In my opinion, there are too many variables with the manual machine for the total beginner.

The Gaggia let me concentrate on grind size, tamp pressure, and pull time. I let the machine take care of water temperature, pull pressure, and every other variable. Moving to the lever machine felt like starting over in a lot of ways, but I had the experience of having been down a similar path.

There was a great, unexpected side benefit for me. Once I started really getting serious about getting a good pull on the La Pavoni at home, I got back into using the Gaggia, which I keep at work. I had slipped over the years, but I went back to taking precise measurement of grind and output weights, timing the shot, and so on. The result was a huge improvement after a few years of getting lazy and having slipping quality.