View Single Post
Old 11-20-2019, 02:32 PM

I am hoping I've bought my last gasoline powered car.

My wife and I kind of do stuff separately with respect to cars though, and she did buy a used Lexus earlier this year. Totally not a practical car in any way.. not really big enough for family trips, not really terribly fast, not terribly high performance, not terribly efficient. Just another really nice status symbol type car. Oh well, she got a smoking deal.

Both my wife and I have short commutes.. pretty much all the current EVs on the market would be very workable for us. I think a lot of EVs sit there and drain the battery in the garage so I'm sure I'd hook up every night but my driving pattern would indicate I could go several weeks without even having to charge on some of the current cars.

About the furthest we drive during the year for trips would be northern VT to the north or NYC area to the south. Seems like most of the current Teslas can easily do all of our trips as long as we can find a place to charge when we get there.

I look at EVs as expensive, but they are also fun. My Subaru was just shy of $30k. It is not efficient, it is not fun. It is practical. I'd love to have something fun that didn't make me feel guilty. A Cayman or something would be a lot of fun, but probably suck all winter, and would make me feel guilty from the environmental/efficiency standpoint. A relatively upmodel Tesla 3 would probably be similarly fun and not make me feel guilty at all so from that aspect I would not have an issue with the price.

Bottom line for EVs vs gasoline cars is EVs don't spew pollution in a distributed fashion. Getting rid of distributed pollution is a big deal. If someone invents a 50 ton device that can negate carbon exhaust it won't help our gasoline powered cars but it would work great on a Natural Gas power plant. And Solar and Wind improve & grow every day.

I kind of want to say I am not that impressed by the plug-ins but they would probably work fine for me too. They are just kludgey.. Hybrids are more complex than normal gasoline/diesel powered cars. Pure EVs are much simpler than either.. I'd rather go with the more modern/elegant/simpler pure EV if I can.

No time frame for any of this. My Subaru is 7 years old next month but it only has 80k miles on it.