View Single Post
Old 04-21-2006, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley
I blame my lack of speed on my tires too
Don't get me wrong - my lack of true and actual speed is all on me - my equipment plays essentially NO role in this malady. Except that I don't consider it a malady. But I find that some types of equipment choices DO affect the way a bike feels. And since I can't ACTUALLY make one go very fast, I buy whatever I can that will help fool myself into FEELING, even for a fleeting moment, like I might be moving a little quicker than a dead slug (a live slug would clearly drop me on a hill). I count wheels and tires first and formost among these deceptive bits. Up to a point, bike geometry can make a difference too. Bike weight maybe eventually, like over 28 pounds or something, but I have 21+ pound bikes that feel every bit as fast as my 17 pound bike.

But, hey, light wheels and tires just seem like they spin up with less effort to any given speed. I KNOW this is an illusion - it's been explained to me many different times and very effectively. But its an illusion I like a LOT. And I'm stiking with it. Once I'm comfortable with a set of illusions, please don't mess with them.

Thank you,

-Ray