View Single Post
Old 01-15-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cash05458 View Post
meant no offense...not at all...via my computer, it took a lot of looking at first and I am a computer dummy and was told a needed a new graphics card....so went with what was easist...no argument from me if you want to use that...I do like I can run from wifi in another room without dongles or being near our computer...but whatever does the job for sure...whatever gets you on there and riding after all.

was w QUOTE=redir;2486033]Funny. I built up a computer to run Zwift and now I am learning that the Apple TV I already have would have worked better

But anyway it's just an old computer cobbled together with spare parts. Didn't cost me a thing and it doesn't seem to have very high graphics requirements. The GPU I put in it is at least 10 years old and it runs fine.

---

I just started one of the default Zwift training plans called something like FTP builder. It's 5 hours a week which is just about perfect for me. It's definitely a good carrot at the end of the stick type of thing and helps you stay on the bike indoors.
[/QUOTE]

None taken my friend. And yeah what ever gets you on the bike. Honestly before Zwift I was lucky to last 30 minutes on the rollers.

---

The virtual world video game aspect of it helps but for me it's mostly about waiting for that little colored gateway and the warning bell that it's time to dial it up! It's like having a coach. I like to think of the Triplets of Belleville and the old lady blowing her whistle

A few years ago I actually did a lot of work in Virtual Worlds mostly in building simulations for Universities to have classes in a virtual environment and some corporate and even government entities too. As part of that experience I took part in a lot of studies some of which were psychological in nature and the power of virtual worlds is really awesome but it has to be done right. There is very real connection between users and their avatars and between avatars themselves. So much so that in our brains, studies show, we are about 90% there. IOW in the virtual world we react to each other almost exactly as we do in the real world, minus a few key point but still, it's enough 'reality' for people to get real work done in these environments. Fun stuff.

Also back in that day I started to build a virtual veledrome. I never did get it off the ground but I had conceived of a VW like Zwift, they beat me to it