View Single Post
Old 09-20-2019, 12:46 AM

At last Garmin gets something right.

My last Edge 500 died today. The battery just doesn't hold a charge anymore, so I may try to fix it if I can source a battery, but it's had a long life for a piece of abused electronics.

I started using it again after one of my 520s died. I'll probably send that one in and see what kind of deal I can get on a new or refurbed unit.

My 800's screen shifted right a year ago and now doesn't respond to anything but the on/off button. I hated the touch-screen anyway, but maybe I'll send that brick in too.

So, since the only Edge 520 I found locally was still at retail (no thanks), I started looking at the Edge 530s. Seems like they have great battery life and have gotten some good reviews, but they're bulky, expensive, and loaded with features I'll never use.

I was about to suck it up and spend the money when I found took a look at the new Edge 130. Their older units below the 500 level had no ANT+ functionality, so they were little better than a cheap speedometer to me. The 130 is smaller than a 500 with the same size screen, pairing to a bunch of ANT+ sensors like the 520, a simple menu system, not a lot of onboard fluff, and it lists for $100 less than the 530. Score.

I was going to look at Wahoo, but I have a bunch of Garmin mounts on various bikes that weren't cheap and I don't really want to replace. Now that Garmin finally released a computer that looks to be a worthy successor to the 500, I don't need to.

Maybe I'll see if I can just swap my old broken crap for one or two 130s.

'Bout time, Garmin.