View Single Post
Old 08-21-2016, 08:06 PM

Should work just fine. Campy Ergo 11 controls are known to be compatible with Shimano mechanisms (models prior to the long arm road and Dynasys series) for operation over 9 speed Shimano/Sram cassettes.

Campy 10 Ergos will operate Shimano 9 cassettes with the aforementioned mechanisms if they're are cabled with that funky hubbub cable clamping method.

Campy 10 Ergos and Sram Exact Actuation mechanisms can shift Shimano 10 cassettes too, but it seems variable. This is getting into the fringe stuff to which you refer.

I'm running Campy 10 Veloce Ergo controls and Sram Rival rear derailleurs to shift KMC chains over Shimano 11-28 10 speed cassettes with 34/50 cranks on a few different bikes. I've noticed that this combo shifts the outer two cogs better if the bike has thicker dropouts and replaceable derailleur hangers. It's not as good on steel frames with integrated hangers. On these bikes the first cog is closer to the face of the hanger and the high limit is set further out on the derailleur. The 1st-2nd outer cog shift will over shoot and be noisy, and the 3rd-2nd might not shift at all when the bike is in the inner chain ring.

I think it's the combination of non-uniform Campy cable pull, and the way the Sram derailleur's cable guide changes the amount of cable deflection as the mechanism moves further outward... some kind of over compensation is happening here.