View Single Post
Old 02-27-2020, 08:12 AM

Fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Designs View Post
You can always expect two things from people: 1) they are "motor morons", in other words they constantly cause injury. 2) They think they know far more than they do.

I fit people for a living, I work with injured people, I understand what causes injury. Having the saddle way too low so your feet can reach the ground is the perfect example of an irrational fear and a lack of understanding causing injury. Having the saddle too low probably means they are outside their range of motion at the top of the pedal stroke. Somewhere around 10:00 the pedal going over the top pushes their hip up. Then the SI joint shifts and the whole spine moves side to side. On a one time basis that doesn't seem so bad, do it 60 times a minute for more than an hour and you have the start of a lower back injury.

I don't really tell people stuff like this, I've learned to remain silent and let people do what they will. Watching a Spin class is painful, but it's not my place to point out that their quest for fitness is going wrong... The only time I get to say anything is when someone is paying me (or the shop) because they have an injury - then I can explain what they've done to themselves.
In general I agree with this. With respect to a bike, I was on the "wrong" bike for a long time... Suffered as a result. My sense is that in general, trying to "fit" during the sale is likely the wrong time. I think it would be best to get the bike fit in the "right general area" during the sale, suggest the rider comes back after a month/6 weeks for an assessment. I think that the folks that return would be interested in a proper fit, maybe not a Retul or something similar but a fine tuning based on some actual use.

Spin classes... I do this a lot on travel, getting "the fit right" is something that is "taught" at good spin studios, very simple. That said, most folks have the seat too low, the bars too high. The seat position is the biggest problem since I see the person bouncing on the seat for an hour....

I think a shop that offers at least a basic fit... will see a return over the long haul. I think the professional fit is something more for the enthusiast....