View Single Post
Old 06-17-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptStash View Post
1) You have no clue what caused the Exxon Valdez disaster. Hazelwood's error was in not being on the bridge. It wasn't even remotely alcohol related.

2) The pilot error you are referring to was the on the Costco Busan, which was a container ship. There was a lot more going on there than the pilot who was taking unreported prescriptions.

CaptStash....
RE: M/V Costco Busan (I had previous forgotten the type of vessel but dealt with the 50k+ gallons of fuel released into the bay)
Both prescriptions drugs and the pilots medical conditions were not disclosed on his annual forms to the USCG as required and did play a part in his conviction. But what remains is the multiple human errors including the lack of understanding of the vessel's electronic charting system and the meaning of the 2 red triangles (red buoys) marking the towers that he struck. He made the decision to leave port in thick fog (less than 1/2 nautical mi visibility) with no forward lookout posted-several other large commercial vessel pilots chose not to leave port that morning. He also claimed the radar was unreliable but it was in fact reading correctly. He failed to review the ships paper charts when he doubted the electronic systems. He gave the commands which led to the collision of the tower.
As the pilot of one of the 1st emergency responders on scene my point was it was human error and have since corrected my previous statement to give a long drawn out explanation instead of a quick read.

Last edited by firemanj92; 06-17-2017 at 04:46 PM.