View Single Post
Old 02-14-2019, 10:50 AM
Classics Fan

For good or bad, I see builders taking 3 approaches. Note that they are not mutually exclusive. But it is rare to see all 3.

1. Building quality bikes consistently, and developing a reputation for honest and consistent work. Extreme focus on the product itself.

2. Hit the social media game hard, build a hype around the brand, and bring in deposits that way. Extreme focus on the brand itself.

3. Price your product at a very attractive (I won't say "too good to be true....", but close to it) level. Extreme focus on getting customers.

Dave, I don't know much about you or your bikes, so take this only as a single data point. Mjolnir seems a little hard to pronounce. There is some research out there (that I may be misquoting) that suggests hard to pronounce names are not as trustworthy and/or memorable. It was cited in a book called "Thinking Fast and Slow", if you are interested.

On the broader point, about new builders... to each his own. The list of builders that I'd trust with my money is less than 10, and generated by years of reading this forum and listening to people's experiences with builders, seeing their products and knowing that they are good at.