View Single Post
Old 07-10-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Heine View Post
Thanks for the positive feedback. For me, the Aspin/Aravis is also the most comfortable saddle by far. That is why we started selling them at Rene Herse Cycles.

Some mentioned lower prices on Berthoud saddles that you can find online – those are old stocks that had been imported when the exchange rate was much better. The downside is that the leather tends to be very dry, so they take longer to break in. Not a big deal, if you're patient. It's just a little unfortunate if Berthoud saddles get a reputation for being hard to break in because of that (large) stash of very old saddles. We place more frequent orders than the previous importer to make sure all our saddles have fresh and supple leather.

In any case, that's mostly a non-issue now, as most of the old stocks have been used up, but if you see a lower price, it'll be from that stash. (The dollar has lost a lot of value in recent years, so the newer saddles simply cost more.)

Some mentioned Ideale saddles: I have no connection (apart from the owners being friends), but I can second their excellent quality. The leather is perhaps a bit softer, and I haven't ridden mine long enough to talk about the ultimate durability, but if you want something with classic style, it's a great saddle, too. Be aware that international shipping can be very slow due to Covid-19 – there aren't many airplanes flying across the Atlantic right now.

Looking forward to riding my Aravis this weekend!

Jan Heine
Rene Herse Cycles
Hi Jan, I'm looking to replace my WTB silverado saddle with about 2-3" of saddle drop. Do you recommend the Galibier or the open version of the Galibier?