View Single Post
Old 05-06-2024, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape View Post
I am bumping this back up. I am looking at buying a used car from a dealership. I am searching around on cargurus.
Is it still the case that cash vs borrow doesn't matter to dealership?
I have the cash on hand, and I will either trade in my car or just sell on carvana, depending what they offer.
Just looking for any suggestions. I have always bought cars locally from craigslist and FB marketplace but there seems to be very few people doing that these days.
Any other good person to person car sites?

I am looking at going from my 2013 Subaru outback to a lightly used rav4 hybrid, if that matters.
Depends on the dealer. If you say you are paying cash then the dealership won't get any financing reserves. Those dealers won't play ball and in turn not give you a good deal. If you run into that move on and don't do business there.

Negotiate the cost of the car first, no other factors. Don't tell them you are paying cash or that you have a trade. The car purchase is transaction #1, the trade is transaction #2, the trade is an entirely separate transaction! Go get an in-person carmax offer (not online), most dealers will beat a carmax in-person offer printout by $X. I used Carvana personally, and neither the dealer nor Carmax could even come close.

If the car has been sitting on the lot for 30+ days, they will be motivated to move the unit. I like Caredge.com , pay for one month for a few bucks. It gives you good insight on how many days a car has been sitting on a dealer's lot. The longer it sits the better, they don't want to keep paying floorplan cost on that car.