View Single Post
Old 05-13-2021, 09:20 AM

just an update on this... I messaged with Dale from classicrendezvous.com for some insight and was happy to find that this is not a modification but rather a one-off custom customer build, both frame and paint. Early on Colnago took custom orders, this one featuring rack braze-ons and taller tire clearances (you can see in the pics the long reach calipers with the brake shoes positioned all the way down to meet the rim. He placed it at 1979/80...

From Dale...

"The placement of the brazons is odd, especially at the lower attachment points, so obviously not following touring bike standards in that way.

But the real clue in my opinion is the clearance at the forks and at the rear brake.
That bike uses long reach Campag brakes, and the brake pads are moved almost down to the bottom of their slots. So they've allowed a lot of extra room there as compared to normal supers. That's something they could not have been added later at the front fork.

So in my opinion it's definitely an original that was made by Colnago, probably for some special customers request.
Pretty cool!

...the two brake guide loops came in maybe 1979 and then disappeared again in the mid 1980s? Colnago's "serial numbers" are unfathomable....

Also, given the not-brazed-on shifters yet two top tube brake loops, with concave seat stay "eyes" I would guess 1980."

He added he's never seen another touring model and would like to include it in the colnago section of his site, pretty neat!

Last edited by Cinellas; 05-13-2021 at 09:23 AM.