View Single Post
Old 12-21-2017, 09:04 AM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Definitely a balance... would you rather your phone slows down somewhat and lasts all day or would you rather it's dead at 11AM in the morning because it's been burning away with the CPU clocked up to its maximum clock setting?

Androids all try to manage this dynamically too...

And it also helps avoid battery damage that can cause fires.

I had a battery failure on a macbook pro at work a couple months ago.. it didn't burst & burn but it was well on it's way and was pretty scary.. it bent the metal case of the laptop like it was a tin can.
ben, your probably know more about this than most. But there seems to have been a shift over time. Early on in the time of computers, storage and processing power was very limited, so there was a real push to have efficient and economic programs that did not utilize system resources unnecessarily. As processing power and storage became cheaper, those pressures were largely alleviated and developers emphasized economic programming less.

Now, with smart phones and batteries, it appears the focus on efficiency should return. I remember reading an article a while ago talking about how apps (the article was focused on facebook's app) keep getting more bloated, and requiring more cached storage and processing power. Why do some updates for seemingly simple apps take up megabytes of space?

Anyway, there is a generation of programmers who could write inefficient code without any consequences. I'm not sure if new developers have efficiency and small footprint as points of emphasis in their education.