View Single Post
Old 10-01-2004, 09:02 AM
ZhugeLiang

1986 Italian-made Olmo creamy white lugged steel, Shimano 105 grouppo (those with the greenish tint on 'em) - still have it, in my parents' house.

I LOVE THIS BIKE....

But on the other hand, if I am really truthful and care to admit, I guess you can consider my first true road bike is a Taiwan-made 83' Fuji, lugged steel bike weighs at least 28-30 pounds, its headtube decal is a picture of Mt Fuji (no kidding!), and its color scheme is wild in that it's blue and shimmers under the sun like those sparkling paint my kids play with these day. In fact I still have it at the old house, converted into a fixie. I remember hooking it up with an old-school Speedometer that has a dial needle and runs on a cog attached to the wheel at the axle. It's so mechanical and archaic now that I think of it but it works!!

There's a story behind it. I rode it in my first ever road race, was sitting pretty in the second group of the peloton among a bunch of shiny Raleighs, De Rosas and Colnagos. Going into 50 miles mark, those guys just keep looking at me and thinking, "What in the world is happening, who is this kid, we need to do something," I bet they couldn't wait to spit me out like a parasite. Well, no need for them to do that, I did it on my own, ran out of water at 60 mile, went into terrible cramps and had to be picked up by the SAG wagon. What an unforgettable amateurish mistake!

weisan

Last edited by weisan; 10-01-2004 at 09:17 AM.