View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruhlen1980 View Post
Telling the OP to solve his problem by getting his employer/building owner to change is not helpful.
True, although in my case I talked to HR, who talked to a VP who called and chewed out the building manager who eventually (OK it took more than a year) installed a rack in a secure location- just outside tinted windows where a thief would have no idea who's looking. We had 1 floor of a 5 floor building and our lease was expiring so the VP had an unspoken threat as we had some other issues as well.

But, prolly not helpful.

In the meantime I fixed a beater of beaters and loved it for what it was- an 80s rattle canned schwinn converted fixie with 35c Nashbar brand city tires, duck taped saddle and steel sawed-off handlebar to convert drops to a bullhorn, steel front rim wheel. Literally (pun intended) saved it from curbside recycling where it was too wrecked to get snagged by anybody. Attitude adjustment- I came to appreciate the bike as the ultimate practical urban warhorse that it was, took pride in the grunge before taking my place in taupe cubicle hell. The ride to work is in your head, make of it what you want and embrace it- it will become your favorite pair of threadbare jeans. When I changed jobs for another where commuting is impossible, I gave it to a coop, and I really miss it.

Oh, and just mount your lights to your helmet, and keep your tube and pump or whatever in your commuting bag. Nothing to steal here.

Last edited by zennmotion; 10-12-2017 at 07:05 PM.