Thread: "Experts"
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2024, 02:04 PM

Your attempts to muddy the issue do not make the situation any less silly. We aren't talking about trains or chip seal.

I repeat, the radical changes in "facts" about what the most efficient tire width / pressure, even in a limited variable environment like the track, is shocking.

They didn't even make high end tires in sizes above 25mm for years, now that is the smallest "experts" recommend.

this is a huge change that is way outside of your "well different variables call for different solutions excuse making"

The whole world of cycling was just way wrong about tire widths and pressures, or maybe was right and now we are wrong, I don't know but it is crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
At what speed? Under what load? How smooth is the tarmac? What cornering or braking forces will be required?

It is generally understood that the lowest rolling resistance wheels in common use are solid steel wheels on steel rails. Comparatively, tarmac is quite rough, and has a wide range of roughness. Add in all the other variables (such as the ones mentioned above), and you find that there is no one single ideal width for all scenarios. Apparently, some racing teams actually do rolling resistance testing for different courses to find the best width/pressure combinations. While most of that data is confidential, the Silca tire pressure calculator was created from the aggregation of that data.