View Single Post
Old 01-24-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_rock View Post
A moccamaster and a cuisinart burr grinder that I run the night before because it's too loud for the before coffee time...
I at first was impressed that the Cuisinart was such an inexpensive choice among grinders that could actually achieve an espresso grind.
It's robust, and I even got mine for a dime on the dollar in still-new condition at Goodwill, but dayam(!) the thing is noisy.

With beans being such a variable in terms of finding a proper grind vs. flow rate (thermostat clicking off at 25 seconds), I think that I actually prefer using my very old Krups pump machine with it's fixed pressure and temperature. Sort of like a bike suspension with fewer adjustments to complicate the dialing-in process, simpler is ...simpler.
I can usually come up with a suitable grind and tamp on the second or third shot with each new bag of beans.
Again though, I wasn't really committed to the investment side of becoming a home barista, so found the old (by now 30-y-o!) Krups machine at the thrift store as well. I'm going on 15 years with it and it's needed no service beyond occasionally flushing the water tank and cleaning of the portafilter top screen.