View Single Post
Old 10-23-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
4) Stagnant wages/lack of full time employment for the bottom third of the economy, who have already been unable to make back what they lost in the "Great Recession". Especially the older cohort who simply have been unable to find employment and who dropped out of the labor market.

Here's a cautionary tale about what this looks like:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/23/n...-new-york.html
A truly sad tale, but a close read reveals the subject left two jobs. He left Oracle because he "...viewed (it) as a lateral move at best" and Dell because the required travel "...proved a burden." In a bad economy, you can't be too choosey. Shortly after my wife and I got married, my company imploded due to mismanagement. I had to take a step back in my career, taking a position that paid less and had less opportunities. My wife had already committed to completing her college degree. Our income dropped 60% and we took on the debt from her student loans. At the end of some months, we had to decide between groceries and rent. It took four painful years to get out of that situation and into a better path forward. My point? When faced with economic difficulties, you can't be picky. You have to accept a change in lifestyle and deal with the hand life gives you. While I feel very badly for the subject of the story and his family, his choices were part of his downward spiral.

Greg