View Single Post
Old 03-28-2024, 08:14 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Reading a book about Merckx right now and it would somehow seem wrong I guess if Cavendish ends up with the stage win record without ever coming anywhere near close to contesting the GC.
to me, this is a similar argument people make when talking about the "best QB".. is it Montana, is it Peyton, Bradshaw, is it that guy from New England? well, it depends on what you look at and how you take into account the environment they played in..

Merckx rode in a time where folks didn't appear to specialize as much.. were there folks who only trained for the polka dots or green jersey in Merckx's time? the current generation in World Tour racing is highly specialized it seems (at least for the stars).. I can't imagine we'll ever see another rider come close to winning all of the jerseys again as riders like Tadaj or Jonas don't train to be able to match Mads Pedersen in a sprint and would never get the chance to go off and hunt mountain tops to gain enough points most years (they do come close at times though).. the white jersey for sure as that's just a coincidence if it happens most of the time..

I guess what I'm saying is if Cav gets the record, I think it would be awesome and a sign of that record coming into modern times..