View Single Post
Old 08-08-2021, 01:08 PM

Also, Messi's whole teary farewell and proclamation of "love" just ring hollow.

I saw this comparison made elsewhere, and I think it's apt to bring up here.

Quote:
But does Messi really love Barca? Really? If you take money from someone you profess to love, more than they can afford, over a number of years until they go broke, sure they are stupid for saying yes, but what are you?
I mean if I actually love an organization (rather than being in a relationship that is mutually beneficial), I may consider doing one of the following:
-1) play for free, b/c hey, love > money, right?;
-2) do 1) and lend the club money, b/c they obviously are in dire straits;
-3) find a consortium of backers and invest in the club.

Mind that the third option would be horrible for Barça, as what it needs is objective decision making rather than being ran by someone with an attachment to the club. But at least it's some objective form of help, rather than crying a few tears before jetting off and getting paid elsewhere, all the while ditching the organization you claims to "love".

I should also note that with the way Spanish clubs are set-up, most are legally a special type of stock companies, with special exceptions granted for Barça, Real Madrid, and Osasuna (not sure if the last one has become one since). The reason for this is the belief that it would induce better corporate management, with Barça and Real exempted from doing so back in 1992, as they were considered to be well-ran. This may be changed in the near future, at least for Barça.