View Single Post
Old 08-09-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post
I just got a new TT bike (an Argon 18 E117) a few weeks ago. Like the other such bikes that I have had a chance to ride, the seat mast is an aerodynamic carbon fiber thingie.

The saddle clamping mechanism seems like it was designed by an engineer on meth trying to find a way to vex the home mechanic. I took the saddle off to adjust the clamp fore-aft and the actual clamping part fell off into five different pieces. Naturally I didn't study it enough before it fell apart, so I the pleasure of trying to figure out how it went back together. That took a minute. And it didn't seem like I had enough hands when I was putting it back in place.

One of the worst examples that I have seen is a Cervelo P3 that was about 10 years old. It took me and my wife to get a saddle mounted on it. That's four hands, and again, it did not seem like enough.

Are there any examples of saddle retention systems/clamping mechanisms that are actually simple and easy to use on these kind of bikes? Or are they all a rolling ball of nightmares?

I've gone retro on my road bike, and am using an old Dura Ace post with a one-bolt adjustment. I dig it. It works and it's easy to use, but it's a simple, round post. Manufacturers don't seem to want to go with round posts on TT bikes these days.
This post reminds me of my cervelo s3's post. Oval, and when you tightened the saddle it would tip forward as you tightened. You had to guess where level would be once torqued to get the thing flat or it would nosedive. So frustrating.

Best of luck, OP.