View Single Post
Old 02-22-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
I was on track to retire as a Navy Captain about now. In 2011, I didn't like how my son was behaving and the now-ex had essentially stopped parenting. I retired the next year which was the earliest I could punch out. From 2012 until he graduated HS in 2018, my focus was totally on him. We talked every afternoon about homework, school, life, etc. After about a year, he opened up and our talks got better. At 16, we sat down and put together a plan for college and all the things he needed to do and the pitfalls he needed to avoid. There were setbacks but more progress, mostly from what he learned from the setbacks. I taught him to respect women and how to be a gentleman without being overly patronizing. Lots of trial and error but I am so immensely proud of the person he has become. He'll turn 21 this October and I plan on flying out to MD so he can buy me a beer in downtown Annapolis.
Ha I was going to reply to your earlier tubeless ---> disc brake post, that at least he's a Navy man.

I read the article, but didn't have the time to give it detailed attention and thought, but I recognized many of the same issues I (probably most of us) confronted in our late teens through 20's. Our young men and women reflect a lot what we give them as parents and to a lesser extent but often as importantly close associates (teachers, friends, etc). I think we have to use care painting an entire population with a single brush. Bill - my older son is same age (21 in December) and I'm pleased, maybe even a little surprised at what a responsible, self confident, and even gentle young man he's become. He's certainly a better man than I was at his age (even though I was a Navy midshipman).