View Single Post
Old 01-28-2020, 03:38 PM

We can think of drop bar bikes being on a spectrum. Performance road bikes like the pro riders use are clearly one end, with relatively narrow tires, often aerodynamic tubes, very long and low positions. The other end of the spectrum is probably bikes like Evil's Chamois Hagar, which are practically mountain bikes with drop bars. As you go to the 'right' side from performance road, you probably get endurance road bikes, and then gravel bikes start.

Jan Heine seems to split the gravel category into two: all-road bikes and adventure bikes. The Chamois Hagar would clearly be an adventure bike. My Parlee Chebacco would pretty clearly be an all-road bike.

I've read Carl Strong a few times, and right now, it seems like he's splitting the gravel side of the spectrum into 3: all-road, gravel, and adventure. Low, medium, and high, versus Heine who just does low and high. Maybe I'm reading him wrong. The bit where he proposes fork clearances is a bit confusing:

Quote:
Road Fork – Tires up to 30 mm
All-Road Fork – Tires from 37-40 mm
Gravel Fork – Tires up to 55 mm and even a bit larger
MTB Rigid Fork – Tires up to 3 inches
MTB Suspension – Tires up to 3 inches
So, if you have something that can clear 32mm or 42mm tires ... is that not a bike? Also, if gravel starts at a 55mm clearance, that's very, very big!

Maybe this is splitting hairs, but I'm not sure if this offers anything more than Heine's classification.