View Single Post
Old 03-31-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
To confirm, your threads were smooth so the Phil mounting rings went in easily on both sides, right?
Yes, both rings threaded in easily at least 5mm beyond flush with BB shell.

Quote:
In that case, I'm guessing that you aren't engaging the lip of the mounting rings with the opposing lip on the bottom bracket itself. That's partly a matter of holding the cartridge just right so everything mates properly, partly a matter of being sure there's no bit of tubing or carbon or resin or whatever projecting into the space occupied by the cartridge (which would force it out of position). If you aren't engaged properly, the edge of the mounting ring can tighten against the cartridge bearing where it should only be bearing on the steel or alloy or ti shell of the cartridge. You might need to tap the end of the spindle ever so lightly with a plastic mallet and it'll loosen up. The inside of the lip of the mounting ring will seat the bearings inside the cartridge as the outer lips of the mounting ring actually support the cartridge shell itself. Hope that's clear.
Yes, perfectly clear.
And I had checked inside the BB shell thoroughly and no obstructions to cartridge.
Sounds like the bearings aren't preloaded until the rings are torqued, so spindle friction of the untightened BB won't mean much.

Quote:
There's also the possibility that you have a slight ding or mismatch between the cartridge lip and the mounting ring lips. Check to be sure they slide together. They should be tight but should mate evenly.
They will not fit together by hand pressure alone, I tried that. I assumed that torquing the rings to 20 ft-lbs is what forces the fit. Again, hand fitting the lip of the ring over the bearing shell is impossible. [Is this a problem?]
Sheldon says 67mm width between outer faces of mounting rings, so no threads should be visible, and I had about 1mm of ring extending out of boths sides. So ring isn't fully sliding onto the bearing shell.

Quote:
Hope that gives you some ideas to work with
Yes, thanks, I feel better now, and will have another go at it to get the ring fully mated to the bearing shell.
I still plan to use just PW grease and anti-seize.