View Single Post
Old 09-19-2020, 09:58 AM

Checking in for L5-S1 roll-call.
Mine started out as intermittent sciatica that I’d occasionally feel whilst climbing a certain incline on my commute. It then became more constant, and I went to see my Dr who referred me to his back guy. Back Guy gave me a 2-week course of oral steroids to tamp down inflammation. Halfway through the course I sneezed getting out of bed one morning and that was it. Total agony, brought to the floor (and held there) instantly.

Booked an urgent visit to Back Guy, who administered a spinal injection that got me back on my feet for the day. I did however instantly lose all feeling and strength in my foot. He then referred me to a PT, but in truth he should have booked an MRI there and then, because I wasted 3 months dragging myself to a PT who eventually discovered (through absolutely none of their treatments having any positive effects at all) that I’d been hobbling around with a ruptured L5-S1 disc all summer and should consider surgery ASAP.

Had surgery, experienced mild improvement. No post-surgery guidance or care offered by Weill-Cornell at NYP at all, which was surprising and very disappointing since I’d just given them about enough money to buy a new Porsche.

Spent just 3 weeks off work, but a whole year off the bike. My job has me on my feet all day which is massively beneficial. I discovered Foundation Training through a friend, and although I’ve only really stuck to their basic exercises along with doing planks, it’s helped me enormously.
I’m back on the bike. My back doesn’t feel fantastic after a 60-miler and I don’t think I have a century in me yet, but even simple Mackenzie-Method moves after a ride can help see me right.

I’d say that the whole ordeal made me realise how little I used to roll my pelvis forward on the bike. Cycling probably didn’t singularly screw up my back (a prior career in photography with no upper-body exercise probably contributed heavily) but my riding position in the past used to be far too fixed. Since surgery I’ve been through half a dozen saddles and settle currently on the Specialized Power Arc series as they let me spend my ride with my pelvis adequately rotated forward without inducing any numbness. Dick still works too, which is a major plus.

Last edited by Mr B; 09-19-2020 at 10:26 AM.