View Single Post
Old 09-10-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
Please explain too tight. As for rear derailleur, I was taught to adjust the low limit a quarter turn from the chain failing to shift to the last cog.
I would like to hear anything new and see links to proper adjustment techniques.
"Too tight" is essentially setting the limit screw so that the derailer doesn't get the full swing from the shifter into the biggest cog or ring. It's a "conservative" setting that's intended to keep the chain from going over the biggest cog into the spokes, or off the outside of the ring. The problem is that it stores a lot of extra tension in the cable, ferrules, housing, and shifter, so stuff is more apt to break. These small parts, especially shifter internals, aren't designed to sustain and function with that much tension.

I have found it best to back the limit screw out a ways, shift gently into the biggest cog, then kiss the derailer with the low limit screw, then back it out a quarter/half turn. Enough that the derailer can just "flex" a little past the shift, but not anywhere near enough to put it into the spokes.