View Single Post
Old 04-24-2024, 12:26 AM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgauthier View Post
Non-Tesla EV charging stations suck because their owners have conflicting interests.
IME "suck" is an exaggeration (maybe intentional). Eight months of exclusively charging on networks where it's free and, while the experience has lots of room for improvement, overall it's been at worst an occasional annoyance and at best quite smooth.

I don't know VW's ID.4 sales numbers but anecdotally I see a lot of them on the road and I'm pretty sure VW wants those owners to have a good experience. The poor experiences I've had (aside from having to wait) were all due to poor maintenance (app says the station is available and working, it's not) or unreliable software (these are not software companies). I stand by my expectation that both availability and the user experience will continue to improve.

I can believe that the Tesla experience is a lot better, but that brand was a non-starter for me. I hope their network becomes available for my car in the future, but even then it will be my choice of last resort because I don't want to give them a penny of my money.