View Single Post
Old 03-08-2016, 09:05 AM

We started with a Rancilio Sylvia (machine) and Rocky (grinder) probably 15 years ago. About 10 years ago I got the Expobar Office Lever and the Sylvia was moved to the weekend house (where it still gets use).

I looked at what I was paying for coffee outside and it easy to justify. My wife has a latte every morning and I have a couple of espresso's. Let's say those three drinks are $6 a day -- assuming we have them 300 days a year at home that's $1800 avoided. Yes, we have to buy coffee beans and milk and spring water but that's nominal (I'd say we're still $1500 in the black each year with the machine). I think it paid for itself in less than a year.

Now for the coffee making. Yes, it takes a little ramp but with a good machine and grinder you can consistently make great coffee no problem. Are you going to win a barista contest for art -- maybe not. Can you make a drink every bit as good as your coffee shop? Sure.

If you can get a refurb or buyer's remorse machine by all means do it. Craigslist can be good too but be sure to thoroughly test the machine before taking it home.

We've had our machines for 10+ years and they work great. I've never had the grinder serviced and the Expo has been in the shop a couple of times for minor things beyond my mechanical capability (nice to have a Sylvia as a back-up).

Espresso is exactly like bikes. You can spend as much money as you like. At some point you get very diminished returns for your dollar but if you are really into it that incremental betterment can make sense to you. There are some who claim you have to roast your own beans a day or two before grinding them in order to get the best outcome. There are those that say a bike from Sacha at Vanilla is the only way to get truly sublime cycling experience. The reality is that you can do both for far less once you reach a certain level of competency in your tool (espresso machine/grinder or bicycle).

My advice is to get a decent machine AND grinder. Make your coffee. You won't look back.